Geography of the Vaxian Continent
The continent of Vaxia is surrounded by the Wesul’kadrass, Easol’kadrass, Sovren’kadrass, and its northernmost land borders are flanked by the Tahotz’kadrass as its landmass extends up and merges with the northern pole ice caps.It sits much higher north then Shi Inkahan and Candenord
A peninsula on the east end of the Vaxia continent bordered by the Gauntlet Gulf to the west, and the Kadrass Ocean on its southern and east end. Most of the peninsula is covered in the Ramsalon Mountain range and a dense forest called the Ramsalon Forest Though parts have been cleared to make room for some small farm lands near the towns and city nestled in the area. The Habrin River is the largest river in the region and is rather wide and deep. The river runs from the Ramsalon Mountains through the Ramsalon Forest where it forks one branch flowing southeast to empty into the ocean. The other branch called the Crawfang River flows southwest right through the city of Ramsalon then into the Gauntlet Gulf. This area experiences all four seasons, but is subject to harsh and very snowy and icy winters and mild summers.
- Ramsalon Mountains are a mountain range that takes up much of the northern area of the peninsula and go westward a little bit before forking with the northern form ending in the Groms and the southern fork merging into the Azure Mountains. The mountains themselves are littered with , many paths and roads, ranging from major highways to overgrown foot paths.There are also several cave systems within the mountains, and a couple lakes of various sizes scattered about. The Andular River is a small river that runs past Andular and towards the western section of the Ramsalon Forest where it flows into the Habrin River before it forks.
- Ramsalon is the largest city in the region, it sits on the southwestern most tip of the Northern Peninsula. It was the former captial of the Vaxian Empire and now serves as the Shi Inkahan Empire’s seat for their Vaxian territories. Current major RP hub of the setting.
Other Names: The Black City
- Nazmarshin is a Nethar city that exists several miles directly below Ramsalon
- Chulub Village is a small village settled in the Northern peninsula by some mojigans.
- Andular is the town that is Ramsalon's base of operations for their mining located in the Ramsalon mountains.
- Magrethiak is a dwarven town nestled in the Ramsalon mountains. Makes most of its business from operating like a trading post.
Ramsalon Forest is a boreal forest that covers much of the southern half of the Northern Peninsula. The trees are a mix of pines, spruces, birch and larches.
Notable Cities and Towns
Notable landmarks and features
- Old Trade Road is the main route through the mountains which merges into the roads leading to Ramsalon connecting the city to Andular and other towns and villages along the way to the city. The large road is well maintained, four wagons can travel side by side in most areas.
Dragon's Maw is large cave system that is deep in the Ramsalon Mountains that can be reached by following an old dusty rarely traveled path that winds up one of the many mountains in the range. One can tell they are close to the cave’s location when they come Its opening looks like a huge gash in the side of the mountain it sits in. The main room is nearly 100 meters across, with natural stone bridges and pillars of enormous size, through the center runs a crystal clear stream with tiny blind fishes. There are many crevices one can explore that lead to small cramped tunnels occasionally opening up into larger rooms, there is no ambient light and the walls are slick with mud and water, some sections are flooded and some rooms there is no room to stand. For those lucky enough in the deepest part of the system opens up into a huge room that has a pale greenish glow emanating from a huge crystalline formation that looms in the dome shaped room pulsing as if it were alive. Reflecting of the minerals in the walls giving the appearance of a star lit sky.
Andular Silver Mines - there are many mines that can be found scattered in the Ramsalon Mountains, though close to Andular rests what is considered the main silver mine in the immediate area. The work is rough and getting there is just as rough as one has to take a small and haggard old mountain road up into some of the harsher terrain.
The Cold Lands are the northernmost section of the continent (currently not on the map). This region is in a constant winter like state year round and is incredibly diverse and coldly beautiful. Towards the southern end along the northern borders of nations like the Groms, there are some boreal forests, lakes, river valleys and mountain ranges that kind of act like a natural barrier before it shifts into an icy tundra, and then into a harsh frozen land, littered with icy and rocky mountains and glaciers merging into a massive mountain range that runs right to the northern pole. Ruins from the time before The Namori Cataclysm can be found scattered about the region. Creatures and species that make this land their home are built to handle the intense and harsh cold and icy climates. There are outposts scattered near the borders of other nations to help with supplies.
Other Names: The Northlands
- Frost Leaf is a small village that rests between the Cold Lands and the East Grom border. This village is located in the heart of a forest just at the end of the Cold Lands and belongs to the Ramsalon Wood Clan
Forest Of Kerronen sits in the north west corner of the continent just below the cold lands. It is considered to be perhaps the most haunted and impassable forest in the world. The trees are hardly a foot apart in places, hardly any discernible paths can be seen. The stories alone of the kind of creatures that make this forest their home deters many, with tales of direwolves the size of elephants, chimeras that are from the worst of nightmares, treants that devour any traveler that get too close, and demon possessed plants and Elementals that torment and confuse anyone that wanders in be it by land or sky.
- Kerronen is a city located in the northen end of the Forest of Kerronen near the Cragtooth Mountains.
Cragtooth Mountains is the mountain range to the east of the Forest of Kerronen named after the volcano that sits at the end of the range in Meribor, Cragtooth. There are no roads that go through these mountains, but one can find many paths scattered about and most of them derelict and treacherous.
- Cragtooth is a large and active volcano that sits at the southwest end of the Cragtooth Mountains, right in the area of Meribor. IIt rises into the sky for several thousand feet, piercing the air like a giant tooth of an enormous mouth trying to devour the world which earned its name. There are a few well kept road like paths that litter its sides around its base, but the rocky trails that lead to the summit are fraught with peril and treacherous ice for much of the year. Most of the life seen around the paths are spiders and vultures.
Temple Peak is one of the largest peaks of the Cragtooth, located a few miles north east from Cragtooth. This peak is named due to the massive rune temple that sits in the side of the mountain which looks more like a cliff. There are small valleys and a massive cave network that tunnels through most of the lower section of this mountain. These valleys and caves are scattered with the ruins and artifacts of those that once had called this area home. No one seems to live there now except the spiders and other scavenging creatures that no one has come back to tell stories about.
- Cragtooth Rune Temple sits in Temple Peak and are remains of a rune temple from the Namori Era.
Forest Of Shadows starts west of Tarona valley and stretches southwesterly towards Meribor. The forest receives its name because the strange trees that grows there, big, tall, with very closed tops one between other covering the forest in a kind of perpetual darkness. Only plants that can thrive in the dark tend to grow on the floor, with thorns being common among them. Many creatures and species with nocturne activities inhabits this forests, such as owls or wolfs, to other abominations, like Werebeasts and Vampires that can use the forest as a haven. Rumours says that some nefarious cults have made parts of the forest their base.
Tarona Valley starts just before the Cold Lands, it is to the west of the Grom Mountain chain and east of the Forest of Shadows.
- Tarona is a small village that is nestled in the valley for which it is named. They are most famous for the lavish temple to Ziekahu which takes up much of the village.
- Cuddled Egg is an orc village that is just west of Tarona. Its ran by a half orc-half ogre woman known only as Boss Lady.
Meribor is a desolate wasteland in the north-western area of the Vaxian Continent It is west of Jorkana south of the Forest of Kerronen, east of the Wesul’kadrass, and north of the Meribor Sound. The terrain consists almost entirely of rocky badlands and wastes. Severe storms that scour the surface year round, keeping open the scars of the many battles had taken place in the land which can still be seen in scorch marks and the many ruins that litter the land. Though the area is thriving with civilization, one just has to look underground to find it as the people that call this region home have taken to living in the many complex cave systems under the surface.
Meribor Sound is a deep, semi-natural seaway that cuts deep into the Vaxian Continent. GHOUL City and Victory City are built behind the huge cliffs at the eastern end of the Sound, on the ruins of the orcish city of Ghuundagor
Notable Cities and Towns
- GHOUL City is the home for Gaunth's House of Unwanted Lifeforms. Completely underground GHOUL City has built over many of the ruins of Ghuundagor and has expanded through many of the tunnels in the region.
- Victory City is a vast city sprawling right next to the ruins of Ghuundagor. Much of the city is underground and some of its tunnels connect with the ruins of Ghuundagor and GHOUL City. It used to be the penal colony of the Vaxian Empire, but now has been annexed into GHOUL as part of a deal with the Shi Inkahan Empire
- Vrraul'kezrai is a Nethar city in the underground region located at the edge of the central plains, on the borders of Jorkana and Meribor.
Notable Landmarks and Features
- Tower Of Flies (ruins) is a single tower, most parts in ruins, built with carbon-black rock that sits on the east border of Meribor.. It was originally 13 stories tall, but the 13th floor is nearly entirely destroyed. Some stone gargoyles are intact over the entrance and windows, many more lay in pieces.
Ghuundagor (ruins or built over) was the ancestral home of the Orcs and one of the oldest cities in the world. It consisted of a vast and complex network of tunnels, arranged around the hollow mountain fortress of Mount Fang, with bridges all over the huge cliffs of Meribor Sound., and was inhabited by orcs well before the Namori Cataclysm. Now it is part of GHOUL City with many of its tunnels forming the district of Shingack Ghoroth What parts have not been built over remain as ruins.
The Green Hill (formerly the Black Hill) is a landmark located on the surface near Victory City. It is where all the orcish bodies were piled and burned after the Orc War Thousands of orcish corpses were dragged and placed into a single pile, and burned. Several months later, only a huge lump of year-old charred orcish corpses, dusted with a layer of Meribor's dry, yellow dirt remained. For years the smell wafted on the wind for miles, mixing in with the foul, sulfurous stench of Meribor, making the whole region just that much less pleasant earning it the name the Black Hill. Then followers of Gaunth planted grass and wildflowers and lush plants on the faces of the hill that turned the hill into monument of celebration of life and birth instead of death. There is a single hardy evergreen tree at the peak, and tough bushes scatter the slopes. The Green Hill requires constant tending in this harsh environment, but it remains green during the non-winter months
Jorkana is a nation, part of the Shi Inkahan terrritories, that sits in the north central area of the continent with Meribor to the west, West Grom to the east, and No Man’s Land to the south. Its lands are extremely rich and fertile, which lead to it making it one of the largest agriculture industries in the entire continent. It has a rich and complex history having survived the constant conflict surrounding them, their own tyrannical leaders, the chaos of Red Priests becoming part of the Vaxian Empire, and now being part of the Shi Inkahan Empire. Their people have proven to be resilient and adaptable as they weathered the constant change while continuing to build a rich industry of agriculture and artisans.
- Thamas is the northernmost town of Jorkana. It is located right at the edge of the Cragtooth Mountains on the southern end of the Forest of Shadows which is a bit thinner then the rest of the forest which has made it easier to provide more secure roads through that section of forest.
- Arasitan is a city located in the northern county of Antrim, near the border of West Grom.
- Keren is the capital city of Jorkana.
Grom Mountain Chain is a small mountain chain nestled between the Forest of Shadows and the Great Forest of East Grom, in the northern region of West Grom.
East Grom is a nation in the north-eastern corner of the Vaxian continent, east of West Grom north of Ramsalon, south of the Cold Lands. Fertile, rolling and rocky hills make up most of the territory supporting a rich agriculture centered around animals that can easily make their way around such terrain. And with the ocean at their eastern border they have a rich history of sailing and cultivated an impressive naval fleet. There location has put them in the center of many conflicts, which the East Gromians have prided in being able to defend their way of life and their land.
- Njaradgrad is the capital of East Grom located in the Njarad canton. Other Names: Njaradbad
West Grom is a nation that sits between East Grom and Jorkana. The mineral-rich mountainous land of West Grom has led to a long, proud tradition of quality metalwork. They have a similar agriculture to East Grom as there are some livestock well suited to the mountains. West Grommians are a bit more aggressive than East Grommians, and often have been the source of conflicts between the Groms due heated political differences that they prefer to solve in combat. This warrior culture attitude has also provided trouble for other neighbors or those that would try and come use them for their resources.
- Njordstrom is the capitol and largest city of West Grom.
Gauntlet Gulf is a large bay of the Kadrass that borders he east central area of the Vaxian continent, and the west coast of the Northern Peninsula. A small strip of coastline separates it from the Azure Mountains to the west.
- Arpaksad is the home of Fort Lirr and a coastal city, north of the Iron Desert, resting on the edge of Gauntlet Gulf.
Azure Mountains is the mountain that spawns much of the central area of the continent. They surround No Man's Land on the west, south and east forming a kind of horseshoe shape and their eastern end merges into the Ramsalon Mountains. The range earned its name from their constant blue like appearance and a misty haze that covers them. The eastern end is a bit smoother than the western side due to the exposure from the gulf.
- Charashdan is an underground city below the Azure Mountains and somewhat west of Ramsalon.
No Man's Land is a dense, hot, hostile jungle located in the center of the Vaxian Continent. It is surrounded to the west, south, and east by the Azure Mountains, and Jorkana to the north. Before the Namori Cataclysm this area was Aryanthia, a huge metropolis and was the center of the events that triggered the Namori Cataclysm. The lush jungle is on something of a large plateau, and is one of the warmer and humid places on the continent. It is theorize the jungle exists due to residual magical energies from the Cataclysmic events have altered the area, it is even speculated this is why the lands of Jorkana are also so fertile despite their location. Even more so as many of the creatures that dwell seem to be a mix of adaptation and magical alterations.There are some small communities and tribes that do call the jungle home, having adapted to being able to thrive in the humid and dangerous wilds, and rarely see outsiders. Ruins of Aryanthia can be scattered throughout the region should explorers manage to survive the jungle and its inhabitants.
Rose Forest is a forest at the western side of the Azure Mountains, south of Meribor and north of the Snar Abyss. It is a kind of temperate broadleaf and mixed forest though the trees are more scattered about. What makes the forest renowned is the variety of flowers, especially roses, that grow on the forest floor. It is perhaps one of the most colorful forests in the entire continent. Many of the creatures that reside in the area seem just as colorful as the flowers of the forest. The elven Rose Clan claim much of the forest as their territory.
Snar Abyss is huge canyon that cuts into the continent like a scar. It stretches from the south west corner of the Azure Mountains all the way to the western coast where it opens up to the Wesul’kadrass. Its cliffs is what divides the Snar Mountains from the Azure Mountains. It sizes 20 whole miles in its widest point, and as nearly as 5 in the shortest, where the Dawnport-Crystal bridge can be found.
Dawnport Crystal is a nickname for a mostly-ruined pair of cities on either side of the Snar Abyss. Not much remains other than the Crystal Bridge, a massive edifice spanning the chasm that dates back to the Namori Civilization before their fall.
- Crystal Towers are the ruins of a once great crystalline city on the north cliffs of the Snar Abyss that existed during the age of the Namori. Records indicate that it was one of the greatest cities during that time, often cited in poetry for its sparkling beauty. However today only dull silhouettes of its towers that once was remains.
Dawnport was once a great port city located on the southern cliff of the Snar Abyss. Founded after the first orc war, it once had a great wealth in being one of the few locations that was a kind of cross roads as regional issues made it and the crystal bridge they too up maintenance upon one of the safest routes to take. Though as the Vaxian Empire began improving on quicker routes to Ramsalon, Dawnport soon fell out of favor. It is still an active port city, but much of it is in disrepair as it is not as active as it used to be. Though now with it being part of Tesaria's territory, there is hope that a new life will be breathed into the city.
The Crystal Bridge is a relic from an age even before the Namori. There is much debate over the origins of it as some say it indicates the rise of the Namori happened well before they thought, others think it was left by an even older civilization that perhaps fell to the Namori or disappeared, a few even think that perhaps a bored faerie made it, or perhaps was a gift from one of the gods. No one has really been able to discern why it is there or how, but it is a very curious mystery as it has seemed to be nearly indestructible. Most of its maintenance is about keeping certain creatures from nesting underneath it to help keep it safe to travel.
Snar Mountain Chain is actually two Sets of small mountain ranges that are south of the eastern end of the Snar Abyss. There is a wide valley of high desert between the two ranges, and together they act like a natural wall for Nebrak and Iskrania to the east. There is a complex cave system that exists within the mountains. Though the region is treacherous thanks to its history that have left many creatures and the very environment twisted.
- Grokul are the ruins of a once luxurious town called Gro-Kane (meaning Majesty Kane) meant to be an escape for Kane that was razed and then later turned into a forced labor camp. In the time of Kane, Necromos had sent his army to ravage the place and kill all that was there turning it into a nightmarish sight, earning it the name that means Majesty Darkness (Grokul). Later in the time of the Vaxian Empire they used Grokul as a forced labor camp for the worst of offenders, as to be sent there was to be sentenced to a long and painful death. No one ever left that camp. It also special to the LanCorian vampire clan, as their stories make this camp their site of their founding origins. Now Grokul is quiet, as the Shi Inkahan Empire shut down its operation, leaving it to the creatures and Ghosts
Western Prairies take up most of the region just south west corner of the continent, starting south of the Snar Mountain Chain. It is a shortgrass prairie type for the most part, though closer to the coast line it is a bit more humid than the rest making it more a tallgrass prairie.
Tesaria is a city state located in the south west corner of the continent, south of the Snar Mountain Chain. Tesaria has a rich culture centered around art and textiles. It produces some of the finest textiles in the land. They are also known for their university where one could gain access to knowledge not as controlled by the Vaxian Empire. The city was granted its independence by the Shi Inkahan Empire, making it one of the newest city-states in the land. They were given control of the Dawn Port and Grokul territories in a gesture of good will by the Shi Inkahan Empire.
Nebrak is the name of the region of temperate and very fertile grasslands that is nestled south of the Azure Mountains, east of the Snar Mountain Chain, and west of Kundul Iskrania sits to its south west. The area is named after the lake and is host to an independent confederation known as the Nebrakian Collectiva composed of an alliance of several of the communities that are in the area. They are one of the few places that have remained independent of the Vaxian Empire, and have a kind of uneasy coexistence with some of the other sovereign nations and states that also reside in the area, which also include some of the largest centaur tribes outside of Candenord.
- Lake Nebrak is a gorgeous and massive lake that is near the southeast corner of the Azure Mountains. The lake is large and wide enough to where communities formed on the sides of its shores were hardly aware of each other's presence. In the center of the lake is a massive temple, its architecture a kind of ancient elven predating the Namori. Inside the temple one can find signs that the Namori did repurpose the temple, though visitors are very few as local Elves keep outsiders at bay as they had sworn to protect it at all costs. Though the most odd thing about the lake is that its waters seem to have magical properties. But no one has ever been able to get a large enough sample. Many of the communities protect the lake fiercely from each other and themselves, though where they fail the elves or Centaurs will surely not.
Iskrania is a city state that was founded by Kosmos in defiance of the Vaxian Empire. Located to the east of Tesaria and the west of Kundul, it is one of the more unique and larger cities of the continent. The city does not grow past its boundaries, staying within a circle that was a line drawn by Kosmos said to always protect those that stand in it. Due to this the city instead found ways to build up. It is also close to a null magic zone which made spell casting difficult in some parts, and many of its communities found ways to use it earning it the nickname of the Antimagic Capital. For the longest time it had no formal government as its seven churches ran the place in a chaotic and ongoing war between each other, making it a breeding ground for syndicates to rise in its shadows. Though now it's odd balance having been broken the attempts to centralize the government has not been going well and now there is the problem of even more bloody battles as groups all want to fill the power vacuum.
Kundul is a small range of mountains that is stronghold of a Dwarven nation located in southern Vaxia, to the west of the Iron Desert separating it from Nebrak. It is currently ruled by Dwarven King Simril. Other names: Thunder Mountains
- The Flat Place A large, flat valley in the Somisain Mountains. There is a rather old forest with massive trees. The area is rich in minerals which makes it popular for boom towns to pop up during agreeable seasons to harvest them.
Bay of Lavin is an indention in the central area of the southern coast of the continent. Ish Lavin developed on its eastern end, and a smaller village Miser on its western. Other Names: Lavin’s Gulf
Ish Lavin a port city located in the central southern coast of the continent. It sits on the Bay of Lavin for which Ish Lavin takes its name. To the east and north east there are the East Hills and the Badlands before one encounters the Iron Desert. To the west is a river, and the smaller village of Miser. It’s size and wealth is comparable to Ramsalon thanks to its location at the bay, especially as trade with Shi Inkahan and Candenord could re route the bulk of their trade to the city during the winter when it would be harder to reach Ramsalon. Much of its culture is influenced by the constant trade of Candenord. It is currently part of Shi Inkahan’s territories in the continent.
Miser is a small fishing village offshoot of Ish Lavin in the Western plains that rests on the western edge of the Bay of Lavin.
East Lavin Hills a series of hills just to the east of Ish Lavin, acting as a natural barrier between the city and the badlands that run into the Iron Desert. The caves in the area are inhabited by Gnolls and in the spring the area plays host to breaching great worms the size of several whales lashed together end to end. The rest of the time it's just desolate and hot.
Badlands are the massive badlands formed by the Great Worms that are largely responsible for cutting off Ish-Lavin from most of the mainland from the east and north sides. Sparsely vegetated and shaped into amazing and bizarre formations, the landscape here looks twisted into an imitation of a Dali painting.
Iron Desert is in the southeast corner of the Vaxian continent and is a fairly large expanse of rocks, sand, and cacti. There are a few legends on how the desert got named from the belief that it once was entirely iron as people traveling by would always see what appeared lightning hitting it, rumbling from the mountains that bordered it, to its rusty colored stones and sands that make up much of it, to stories of those that can survival the trials of those that reside it they shall earn a will of iron. Though there is much life in the desert as a few small towns have settled the area, and many creatures call the place home.